Home    News    About Us    History    Statistics    Gallery    Fixtures    Admin   Juniors   Members    Links   Link Page  Weather



Election of Office Bearers for 2017

Honorary President:  Lord Aberdeen
Honorary Vice Presidents: Charlie Allan, Nigel Briggs, Dennis Pratt, Roger Bevan, Charlie Coulson & Mark Colley-Davies
Honorary Captain: Colin Addison

Chairman: Mark Woodhouse
Vice Chairman: Stuart Anderson
Treasurer: Liz Shepherd
Secretary: Jay Allan & Kate Brewer
Membership Secretary: Mark Colley-Davies
Match Secretary: Jay Allan
1st XI Team Captain: Steve Murphy
1st XI Team Vice Captain: Jamie Jones
2nd XI Team Captain: Rob Fryer
2nd XI Team Vice Captain: Grant Cordiner
Junior Coordinator: Jamie Jones
Child Protection Officer: Mark Colley-Davies
Groundsman: Charlie Coulson and Neil Purdie

Committee Members:
                                Bryan Carr 
                                Phil Cox
                                Tim Duffy


Official Sponsors


Match Reports: 2017

1st XI Conti:-
1XI Methlick vs 2nd XI Knight Riders

Methlick were put into bat at a sultry Groats Road and Anderson was in a belligerent mood, scoring 8 off the first over to set the pace for others to follow. However, this was not to be and in the fourth over he got one that jagged in off the seam and was bowled.

Jason Stark quickly followed with an attempted square cut that found the edge and was caught behind for one. After last week’s undefeated half century, much was expected from skipper Murphy but he too went with just a single to his name, leaving Methlick at 11 for 3. Veeresema and Woodhouse had to dig in and weather the storm and were happy to pick up the odd single and use up a few overs, targeting the valuable batting points.

Both batsmen were coping well but boundaries were hard to come by on a long and sluggish outfield. After reaching 9, Veeresema also holed out with Methlick reeling on 25 for 4, bringing Jamie Jones to the middle. It was essential that he curbed his expansive shots and used up the overs and the two battled away taking the score up to 65, and by now the batsmen were looking more assured and playing their shots. That is until Woodhouse was once again cruelly run out on 21. They say that one wicket brings two, and Jones proved the adage as he was caught off Kumar immediately afterwards on 20.

Marc Jones and Mike Bremaneson tried to put an innings together but Jones snicked one behind off Punia for 9. Liam Maxfield was then run out first ball in the Sri Lankan’s inimitable style, without facing a ball and Deni Sarafimoski also failed to trouble the scorers.

Veera Mani was left high and dry as Bremanesen was the last wicket to fall, bowled for 4 by Amrithrai, and another dismal batting performance from MCC saw them all out for 80.

However, only one bowling point was now needed to be sure of avoiding relegation and this was provided by Veeresema, bowling yet another accurate spell, and clean bowling Chinnayan for 2. At the other end Jamie Jones was bowling his best of the season, according to his fans, and he did much to stem the aggressive batting with his pace and excellent length. He accounted for Punia with a sharp catch being taken by Marc Jones, followed two overs later by Jones the elder taking the wicket of Amithrai, courtesy of a fine steepling catch from Bremenesen.

Junior Jones was now at full pace and it was all Balaji could do to fend a short one off his gloves to wicketkeeper Woodhouse. Once again there was a batsman refusing to walk and the umpire shocked all by not raising his finger to an obvious caught behind. Balaji batted on under a torrent of sledging and shortly after the incensed Jones finally had his man, splaying his stumps with a vicious Yorker.

Jones senior took his second wicket having Veera LBW for a duck and it was now six wickets down for 71. However there were just not enough runs on the board from the first innings and a wilting batting attack scraped the required 10 runs to see them home. Another 30 runs from Methlick’s innings would surely have sealed victory and it was heartening to see the effort they put into their response. The result means that they ended up fourth in Grade 2 in what turned out to be a very competitive season.

But the season doesn’t end there. This weekend is Ladies Day, a major fundraiser organised by Liz Shepherd and Kate Brewer, at Methlick Beaton Hall. Tickets are available for 20 from the Ythan View Hotel, for a day of teas, Prosecco, a Gin Bar and all served up by Buff Waiters (and one or two Duff Waiters from the cricket club).

On Saturday 2nd September it is Methlick’s Gala Day with a 7-a-side tournament featuring teams from Ellon, Inverurie, Fraserburgh, Turriff and Aberdeen coming along to steal the trophy from current holders, Methlick. There are also plenty of family entertainments on offer, a hog roast and beer tent for all to enjoy.

The playing season finishes on 9th September with a home friendly against Aberdeen University.

By Mark Woodhouse
1XI Methlick vs Grampian

Anderson and Stark opened the batting and the latter was found out early on playing the wrong line to George and was bowled. Murphy opened his account with a boundary and it seemed to be business as usual until he too quickly fell victim to George.

The wicket was obviously playing many tricks with the balls staying low or leaping up from the huge hollows in the wicket. Anderson was caught on 10 trying to drive a wide ball over extra cover. Woodhouse went to a spurious LBW and last week’s hero , Addison, was caught for 3. The last seven batsman only scored 18 runs including a six from last man Veera, as Methlick plummeted to 53 all out.

At the turn-around Methlick needed wickets and Murphy found the edge of captain Varghese’s bat with an out-swinger for a caught behind from Woodhouse in the first over. The Grampian skipper refused to walk and their umpire refused to signal out despite the many remonstrations from the Methlick team.  The nick was loud enough to be heard by an old lady hanging out her washing on Springhill Road!

With tempers frayed and blood-pressures high Grampian went on to win with ease, despite the eventual demise of the culprit to Marc Jones. Duffy in particular came in for some unusual tap; his second, and last, over going for 22.

The result meant that Grampian strengthened their position at the top of Grade 2 but Methlick, after being in a promotional tussle at the start of the game, are now in a battle with 5 teams over 4 percentage points to decide who is the other team for relegation alongside Banchory. Next week’s home game against Fraserburgh and the last of the season at Knightriders are both vital.

Grade 4 leaders, Methlick 2nds, once again were denied a game as Cults scratched, and now seemed destined for the title.

By Mark Woodhouse
1XI Methlick vs Banchory

Banchory had first crack with the bat and it was business as usual with Murphy and Veeresema giving nothing away in their opening spell.  Pressure built and J. Crawley holed out for a duck to covers for Veeresema to take the catch that gave Murphy his first wicket.

The Aussie then struck himself, bowling Abbott for 10 and in the following over Rotherham, trying to be aggressive, lifted one to Addison for 1. At that point Veeresema was standing at 2 for 7 off his 6 overs. Murphy was rewarded with his second wicket bowling Keshri for 1.

Captain Zach Crawley came in to steady the ship but with a rush of blood to the head, charged Cordiner and gave Woodhouse a simple stumping. This brought out Tim Wilkinson in his fiftieth year for Banchory and the oldster showed his younger team mates how to be patient and wait for the bad ball.

As he prospered  all around fell cheaply. D. Abbott skied one to Brian Anderson at mid-on who used all his powers of concentration to take an excellent catch off a ball that ballooned into the upper reaches of the atmosphere. Jamie Jones took two wickets, after a jittery first over gave away 9 runs, and Murphy completed the rout taking his third wicket for 11 in his eighth over. Banchory finished on a meagre 70 all out off 34 overs, Wilkinson top scoring with 24 not out.

With no second team game today, Kemnay once again scratching, Rob Fryer opened with Jason Stark. Stark went almost immediately bowled by Z. Crowley for 2 followed quickly by Fryer without scoring. Murphy and Stuart Anderson took to the middle, expecting a few aggressive boundaries to bring the game to its expected conclusion, but Banchory hadn’t read the script. Murphy hit C. Abbott for 4 but then the bowler responded by having Murphy LBW for 6.

Anderson and Woodhouse looked comfortable but the slow outfield meant that runs were hard to come by. Woodhouse on drove for 4 but his next delivery stayed low and was bowled. The very next ball saw Ambrose take Brian Anderson caught and bowled for a Golden Duck as he gently played the ball back to the bowler to give him a simple catch.

Stuart Anderson, going for a run to deep midwicket, turned to find the bails lying on the ground and despite his protestations that he had felt nothing, finally had to depart amidst the confusion ,  out hit wicket  for 10. Methlick were reeling at 42 for 6, still 29 runs short and in deep trouble.

Veeresema and Addison were desperately scratching around for runs and disaster struck as Veeresema was caught for 7 with the score having edged to 59. With only 3 wickets left somebody had to turn the innings around and the farmer would need all his experience. Jamie Jones came in to help, no stranger to whacking the willow, but could only stand and watch in awe as Addison took matters into his own hands  and blasted Crawley into deep cow corner for consecutive 6’s to take Methlick over the line for victory by three wickets.

With three games to go Methlick stayed in 3rd place in Grade 2 as the top and second teams both won,  but with top team Grampian still to be played this could turn in to a decider as to who gets promotion.

By Mark Woodhouse
1XI Methlick vs Siyapa

Steve Murphy and Tim Duffy put the pressure on from the first ball and accurate bowling kept the runs at a minimum with only 8 runs coming from the first 7 overs. The pressure told in the next over as Murphy splayed Usman’s stumps for 2.

Bedaar fared little better and was Murphy’s next victim, bowled for 1. Meanwhile, at the River End, Duffy was giving away nothing but was wicket-less until his penultimate ball which offered an easy catch to Marc Jones and his day was done with a very respectable 10 overs for 1 wicket for only 14 runs.

Veteran Addison came on as first change offering up a slow long-hop  to Saddiq off his first ball, only for the opening batsmen to top-edge to Murphy with the boundary at his mercy. Two balls later and Addison struck again for a double wicket maiden to start. Ali came in at number six and batted very competently whilst all around were giving up their wickets.

Addison struck again beating the inside edge of M. Shahid for Woodhouse to take a sharp stumping before the batsman could get his foot back down. In the meantime Marc Jones had joined the fray and the two slow bowlers were taking the opposition apart. He finally dismissed Ali who had scored a creditable 42, and then a swipe by Yousaf took a top edge. The ball rose into the sky with Methlick holding its collective breath as Jay Allan steeled himself for the catch, and against all odds managed to hold on to give Jones his second wicket.

Junior Jones came on for the coup de grace as Siyapa crumbled to 86 all out, surely well behind par for the day, and Addison was the pick of the bowling with 4 wickets from his 10 overs.

After another glorious Laird’s tea Jason Stark and Stuart Anderson opened up for Methlick, with Stark’s confidence growing game by game. Anderson went for 12 and Murphy and Woodhouse also cheaply but 50 was already on the board. Addison came in to play another circumspect cameo innings and the two made quick work of the Siyapa bowling. Stark was given out LBW on 29 with only one run needed and Addison dispatched the final ball to the boundary to end with 27 not out to cap a personal good day out.

The win now puts Methlick into third place in Grade 2 with a very credible chance for promotion with the next two games against Banchory and Grampian re-runs of early season thrashings, and surely revenge against the earlier defeat by Fraserburgh.

A very good day for MCC was capped off by a visit to Stonehaven for the 2nd team, with Rob Fryer’s men notching up 201 for 4 from their 45 overs with notable innings from Alistair Smith (80), Brian Anderson (28) Alec Campbell (23) and Scott Gordon finishing it off with 38. Stonehaven could only muster 104 with youngster Robert Kennedy ending up with 3 wickets. MCC continue unbeaten at the top of Grade 4.

 By Mark Woodhouse

1XI Methlick vs Stoneywood-Dyce

MCC pride themselves on keeping the first ten overs to a minimum but with 50 on the board at this stage the home side were going to be facing a big total. With the century coming up Murphy was first to strike, clipping the top of off and bowling the aggressive Squire for 59. Marc Jones quickly followed up with the wicket of Samuel, Tim Duffy taking a (literally) blinding catch at gulley which flew so quickly the fielder wasn’t even looking at it.

From then on Reid and Davidson took control and no bowler could keep them in check. Opener Reid finally succumbed caught and bowled to Jamie Jones for 82 and Hood was a quick victim to Colin Addison who unusually took a bit of tap from the batters. Davidson ended up not out 67 in a total of 235 for 4 off their 45 overs.

Mark Woodhouse and Jason Stark opened the batting needing to get the runs coming early but the bowling attack of Hood, Kennard and Grant gave absolutely nothing away to hit, and although the batsmen gave away no chances, only 15 runs came from the first 10 overs.

Stark was the first wicket, caught by Grant for 22. Adam Veeresema came to the middle but the bowling was still miserly and Woodhouse was eventually run-out for 11. The middle order fared slightly better as the opening bowlers were replaced. Veeresema, Maxfield and Murphy all made a start and Addison was able to hit out but none progressed, Veeresema  top scored with 30. Birthday-boy Brian Anderson and Marc Jones chipped in at the end, but the score set was inevitably too much and Methlick were all out for a creditable 183.

Methlick 2nd team had no game this weekend.

By Mark Woodhouse

1XI Methlick vs Arrowdawn Gordonians

Adam Veeresema opened from the Beaton Hall end and delivered up three straight maidens, giving nothing for the batsmen to score from. At the River End Tim Duffy returned from a three week lay-off and any hint of rustiness was soon forgotten as his third ball dismissed Smith for a duck. Three more deliveries later and an identical ball bowled Dalgarno to give a blistering double-wicket maiden first over. Duffy hadn’t finished there and the second ball of his following over bowled Porter for another zero to leave the visitors innings in tatters; five overs, 3 wickets and no runs.

Devlin and Perera battled through to the 18th over but the former was unable to get anything away and Perera had to move things along but became Duffy’s fourth victim in his penultimate over, unable to cope with the swing and was bowled for 20.

Veeresema finished his spell wicket-less but only 14 runs coming from his 10 overs. He was replaced by Jamie Jones whose first delivery was promptly smashed to the boundary for 6. Revenge came with the last ball of the over when he trapped opener Devlin LBW, after only scoring 6 from his 21 overs.

Duffy finished on 4 for 19 off his 10, and then it became the Marc Jones show as he mopped up the tail in a three over spell taking four wickets. Jason Peet celebrated his annual game at Lairds taking the final wicket and Gordonians were down and out for 65.

The Methlick innings got off to a relatively shaky start as Jason Stark went LBW for only one. All batsmen so far were struggling with the swing caused by the heavy atmosphere. Veeresema and Stuart Anderson took the score on to 29 until Anderson was caught off Perera for 10. The Aussie and Mark Woodhouse took control and pushed the ball around easily and were almost home until Woodhouse got a faint edge to Suthira with only 9 runs needed.

The explosive Jamie Jones came out to the middle but it took an agonising seven overs to get the remaining runs, and Veeresema topped off a great day with 28 not out. The victory was marked by an excellent performance in the field from Methlick who pressurised the visitors and gave away no easy runs and they now move up to fourth in Grade 2.

A good day for Methlick was followed by the 2nd team’s victory at the Haughs as an unbeaten 58 from Rob Fryer and 38 from Mike Bremaneson easily surpassed Turriff’s 118 for 6. The Sri Lankan polished off his day with 3 wickets from his slow left arm, backed-up with  2 for 24 from Brian Anderson keeping them firmly at the top of Grade 4.

By Mark Woodhouse

1XI Methlick vs 1st XI Grampian

Grampian batted first with Adam Veeresema opening from the Beaton Hall end against big-hitting Varghese. His second ball pitched perfectly on middle and leg and seamed away to clip the top of off-stump for an immediate breakthrough. The ball continued to seam from Veeresema and Steve Murphy from the River End was getting the ball to swing both ways, and it was all the batsmen could do to hang on.

Veeresema took his second wicket, clean bowling Jeby George and Grampian had lost their two main batsmen with only 10 on the board. Bhopinarth lasted two over’s until he too became the Aussie’s next victim, once again clean bowled.

Murphy finished his tight spell, wicketless, but only going for 6 runs in his 7 overs. Marc Jones came on as his replacement and a first ball full-toss loosener was chipped tamely to Murphy in the covers reducing Grampian to 30 for 4 after 16 overs. Charles George came out to the middle and from the first ball his intentions were clearly to hit everything into the Ythan. Veteran Addison sorted him out in his first over, plumb LBW for 14.

The only resistance had come from opener Joseph. Junior Jones came on from the Beaton Hall, bowled two half-trackers and then his third ball was a beautiful in-swinger, bowled at pace and smashing into the stumps to remove him. He went on to take two further wickets in his two over spell with Jones Senior mopping up the tail to leave the Grampian innings in tatters at a below par 91 all-out.

After another famous and fabulous Methlick Tea, Jason Stark and Stuart Anderson opened the batting. Stark went cheaply LBW for 10 after several previous appeals, but thanks to Anderson’s continued form with the bat the score had already moved on to 34. There was some alarm as Vereresema went for 6, but this only brought Murphy out to the middle with 43 needed for victory. After a brief period of assessing the bowling he went to work with Anderson and both made batting look easy with the ball gliding to the ropes.

Victory came after only 20 overs with Anderson unbeaten on 38 and Murphy on 26 off 23 balls. The victorious MCC were back at the Ythan View when they would normally have just finished tea. Next Saturday they entertain Gordonians at Lairds and will look to avenge the early season defeat.

Unfortunately in Grade 4 the 2nd team’s game against Cults was scratched when the Aberdeen team  failed to raise a side. After last week’s heroics, Rob Fryer’s team were itching for another game but the 30 points awarded now puts Methlick at the top of their Grade.

By Mark Woodhouse

1XI Methlick vs 2nd XI Knight Riders

The visitors batted first and the swing of Murphy complimented the tight line and length of Veeresemsa who struck quickly bowling Nangia for 4. Ballal came in and started trying to hit everything out of the park. An edge looked imminent but it was a mix up between the two batsmen that saw him run out after an accurate throw from Murphy.

The Jones’ namesakes, Mark and Jamie, added their threat to the attack and wickets started to fall. Junior bowling at pace and Mark with accurate in-swingers taking four wickets between them. All of the Knightriders’ batsmen made starts but were all undone in the high teens and mid-twenties with none going on to make a challenging score. A few loose overs at the end set them up with a score of 167 all out; possibly around par for the conditions.

New boy Stark didn’t last long, being bowled by Veera for 7, but Stuart Anderson and Veeresema made full use of the good conditions and fast outfield. Anderson, visibly tiring, was run out just short of his half century for 47 in a partnership of 102. Veeresema went past his 50 but was caught on 53, but at this stage MCC were only 37 runs short with 16 overs left. The only blip was the run-out of Woodhouse, but Murphy (31 not out) and Junior Jones (13 not out) saw them comfortably over the line with 8 overs to spare.

Meanwhile in Aberdeen Methlick 2nd team faced an imposing 200 runs for victory. The Methlick top three batted fantastically with Rob Fryer scoring 66, Phillip Rice 47 and Brian Anderson 44 to bring the team home also with 8 overs to spare to make it a double for MCC.

By Mark Woodhouse


1XI Methlick vs Fraserburgh

Fraserburgh batted first with a very circumspect innings from Cory Bowie and Fraser Lawrence, taking the score on to a watchful 64 from 24 overs. Bowie managed to reach his half century until being bowled by Acton for 52 and Lawrence made 27 until Alan Hill took a catch from his own bowling. After that the home side had little to offer and Methlick wrapped the innings up for a modest 133 with the pick of the bowling from Acton with 4 for 20 and Murphy and Hill both pitching in with a couple.

With such a short boundary and a decent batting line up MCC were expected to wrap the game up without many problems. What happened was very different with none of the top five contributing, all being outdone by the slow pace and variable bounce. By the time the sixth wicket had fallen only 39 runs were on the board and the winning total seemed a long way away. Jamie Jones and Mike Bremenesen then came together and batted very sensibly with Jones punishing anything loose.

Victory seemed suddenly achievable as the pair took Methlick past the hundred-mark and Jones made his 50. With a win in their grasp Jones played one expansive shot too many and was caught for 59. Only 20 runs were needed and Bremenesen was looking comfortable until he managed, in his inimitable style, to run himself out for 26.

The tail then collapsed with the last three wickets falling for only 4 runs leaving Methlick short by 11 runs and frighteningly close to the bottom of Grade 2.

By Mark Woodhouse


1XI Methlick vs Gordonians

Methlick were looking to continue with the form from the bat after last week’s high scoring encounter at Lairds and consolidation at the top of the order was required to enable the big hitting middle order to come into play in the last 15 overs.

Woodhouse and Anderson opened the batting and with the warm and heavy atmosphere both bowlers were getting plenty of swing, requiring high levels of concentration. Gradually the two moved the score up past the 50 partnership mark and relied on sharp running between the wickets to move along at 3 runs per over. Eventually this brought the first wicket with Woodhouse pushing to square leg and Anderson unable to make his ground and was run out for 22.

This brought Murphy to the middle at a time when the opening bowlers were looking jaded and Murphy took full advantage, smashing his first scoring shot to the boundary for six. New bowlers came and went as Murphy continued to plunder runs, until one pull too many saw Murphy caught behind but not before he had completed an excellent 50 in his 8 overs.

Just 3 runs short of his 50 Woodhouse was given out LBW to a very shady decision by Anderson standing as umpire even though everyone heard the ball hit bat. Jamie Jones came in scoring a wildfire 12 with 3 boundaries, but it was the farmer, Addison, who topped off the innings, blasting away at the death for an unbeaten 46 to end the 40 overs on an imposing 217 for 6.

After the interval the Gordonians’ batsmen came out with all guns blazing on a wicket that seemed to have increased in pace.  Duffy and Murphy could do nothing to stem the flow as Mohit and Ahmit pushed the score along at over 6-an-over. Obviously pace needed to be taken off the ball and Addison and ex-Gordos, Marc Jones, were introduced into the attack and almost immediately Bremanesen took a steepling catch off Addison.

Praful went to Duffy starting his second spell and Woodhouse took a sharp catch from Jones to remove Jamil. When Duffy finally got Ahmit on 69 the scoring rate started to fall. At the 25 over mark Gordonians still need over 90 runs off the last 15, but Chamilla came in to keep them on track  as the rain started to fall. He finally went for 47 off Jamie Jones.

With one over left Gordonians needed 9 to win and with the rain teeming down Jones’s first ball was pulled for 4. Struggling to grip the ball his next delivery was a full-toss and Mathi slapped it to the boundary for 6 to win the game.

A disappointing finale for Methlick but another much improved batting and fielding performance to take them back to Fraserburgh for next Saturday’s Grade 2 game.

 By Mark Woodhouse


1XI Methlick vs Banchory

With regular opener Woodhouse sunning himself in Fife, Rob Fryer opened the innings with Stuart Anderson. Murphy had asked for 50 off the 1st 10 overs and whilst only 44 was posted at that stage both batsmen had now stated to attack the ball, which was flashing over the slick outfield. Anderson, in particular, rode his luck, consistently finding the fielder with less than secure hands. The first hundred came in the 16th over but with the score on 131 Anderson gave one chance to many and was caught for 76 off 50 balls. Murphy came to the crease and started slowly before unleashing some mighty blows. Fryer had also picked up the pace against a young bowling attack and passed his debut hundred with a lovely signature drive for 4. Murphy reached his half century off 40 balls caught in 2 minds where to smash a dipping full toss. The vice captain, Jamie Jones came in to join Fryer, albeit briefly, as 1 wicket brings to and Fryer was caught out for a splendid 109. Jones was castled for 22 by a decent ball and MCC had reached 292 for 4 at the end of their allotted overs. A super effort after previous batting performances from MCC.

After yet another splendid tea, thanks to Jean and Diane, work was still needed to take the 8 Banchory wickets required and Jamie Jones, charging down the slope, had Zac Crawley out for a duck caught at slip by a magnificent diving catch by debutant Marc Jones (no Relation!) keen to make an impression. Duffy, bowling his usual tight line accounted for the next 2 wickets until the veteran and obdurate Tim Wilkinson joined opener Hicks to put on the only substantial partnership of their innings. 62 was added to the score and whilst the MCC total was never in danger, wickets needed to be taken before beer could be! Hicks hit a tracer bullet drive, to the well placed Stuart Anderson at the steps boundary who held the catch off Maxfield whom had taken the brunt of the onslaught. The left arm spin of Marc Jones was introduced and he got Wilkinson out caught J Jones. The 2 young batsmen then got themselves in a bit of a running muddle and was easily run out by S Anderson. Next ball, Murphy- a very able deputy for Woodhouse behind the sticks- had a smart stumping. Ilham McHardy was given a bowl and in his 2nd over cleaned out the last man-Banchory all out 117. Duffy was the pick of the bowlers with a measly 15 for 2 of his allocated 10 overs helped by some 1st class fielding especially from youngsters Ilham and Grant Anderson.

A pleasing 30 points haul for the 1sts, the 2nds having a free week in Grade 4.
Next week brings the start of the Cup competitions with the 2nds away to Stonehaven 2nds and the 1sts make a quick return to Countesswells where we hope to overturn the league result V Gordonians

By Stuart Anderson

1XI Methlick vs Stoneywood-Dyce

Woodhouse and Anderson opened the batting against a decent amount of pace from the home attack with the ball skidding through nicely on to the bat. Starting to get his eye in, Woodhouse attempted to go over mid-off to an over-pitched delivery from Freeman but toe-ended the ball and was caught.

Veersema attempted an almost identical shot to the same bowler, holing out in the covers for his second consecutive duck. It seemed to be left to Anderson and Murphy who were playing with caution and making the most of any loose deliveries, and they managed to take the score up to the half century point.

Fourie came on to replace Grant, another left-arm bowler,  and struck in his second over as Anderson (23) was again deceived by a ball pitched well up, just as he seemed to be constructing a decent innings.

Murphy seemed to be on his way to another 50 with some clean-striking to the boundary as Jones came out to join him in the middle, but on 31 became Fourie’s second victim. At 65 for 4 MCC’s innings seemed to be faltering but Jones and Addison started to attack with some promise until Addison was clean bowled by Fourie.

The Stoneywood bowler made sure that the tail did not wag and, despite some resistance from Maxfield (19)who showed some aggression after a run-out mix up with Brian Anderson, polished off the last few wickets. Bremenesen was left undefeated for 8, Colley-Davies a Golden Duck LBW and Jay Allan was run-out for 1 to end the innings; Fourie the stand-out bowler with 6 for 35 from his 9 overs.

After tea a very aggressive innings from Steinson removed any hope for a quick breakthrough for Methlick and quickly reached 41 until the extra pace and bounce from Jones saw him top-edge a catch to Woodhouse behind the stumps. Maxfield was the only other wicket taker when an easy full toss was gently lifted to Jones.

By then the score was already in the seventies and the Stoneywood batsmen saw the innings out quite comfortably from only 22 overs to leave Methlick one place from bottom of grade 2 after two defeats. It’s too early in the season to draw any conclusions yet but elsewhere in the Grade the scores have also been rather low. So it’s up to the batsmen to sort themselves out in the nets and provide a sterner test for the opposition bowling.

Unfortunately for the 2nd XI, Bogbeth Park was deemed too wet after a very dry week and the game against Kemnay was cancelled, depriving the players of some much wanted action.

 By Mark Woodhouse

1XI Methlick vs Arrowdawn Gordonians

At the other end the youthful Cameron showed some pace but lack of accuracy helped get Anderson off to a good start with a couple of boundaries. All was looking pretty straightforward until Anderson playing to extra cover called Woodhouse for a suicidal run and was well out. Not a good start for the new chairman.

New Aussie signing, Adam Veersama, came in at 3 after having had an excellent knock at Elgin during pre-season warm-up. After 5 well-targeted deliveries from Shaikh he missed a straight one and was clean bowled for a duck.

Murphy entered the fray and fared little better exposing his leg-stump to Shaikh and was bowled for 2. He was followed by ex-Gordonian, Jamie Jones, who after a very circumspect start began to find his feet and punished anything wide, albeit looking a little rusty in the timing division. The pair brought the innings back on track and reached 50 until Anderson was bowled through the gate by Pandit for a decent 37.

Veteran Addison was the next to go cheaply for 7 and when Mark Murphy was bowled for a duck, the total was looking very unimpressive at 67 for 6.

Tim Duffy came to the middle and looked accomplished, spanking some straight drives to the boundary, but just as things started to look positive, Jones was bowled by Singh for 22. Duffy was quick to follow for 12 and after all-rounder, Mark Colley-Davies, was plumb LBW for another duck all hope in reaching 100 seemed lost.

A rear-guard action from Deni Sarafimoski, who was particularly belligerent reaching 16, and Veera Mani Mani (6 NO) managed to provide some hope giving a target of 116 to defend.

After tea Duffy with his accurate medium pace in-swingers opened alongside the more orthodox seam of Veersama. Methlick’s spirits were raised when captain Shaikh nudged one from Duffy off his pads to fine leg only to see Woodhouse take the catch.

Mohit and Das looked more comfortable and moved the score on to 46 without many problems, going at a decent pace of 4-an-over.  Jones then struck to remove Mohit and almost immediately Duffy got his second, clean bowling Das.

Perera also looked settled but Jones struck again but any thoughts of a dramatic collapse were dismissed by Pandit who was trying, and sometimes succeeding, to hit everything a long way.

His innings came to an abrupt end when some terrible calling between himself and Goulding led to him being easily run out for 22. Another wicket in the next over gave Veersama his first for Methlick and some concern for the home side when Jones removed Porter without scoring leaving 8 down for 100, still 17 runs behind. Only the young boy Samuel seemed to be between Methlick and victory, but his fantastic defensive skills and some decent hitting from Godson in the face of the Methlick attack took them over the line.

So after the first outing an indifferent batting performance from Methlick left them 25 runs short of posting a winnable total. Decent performances with the ball from Duffy who took 2 wickets from his 10 overs at only 27, and Jones- 3 for 36, were not enough to overcome Gordonians. A better performance at Stoneywood next Saturday is called for.

Meanwhile, at Lairds a similar story was unfolding with Methlick 2nds reduced to one less than the first team, being all out for 115 with Alastair Smith top scoring with 36 and captain, Rob Fryer, pitching in with 23. Turriff managed to top this but only after the 8th wicket pair put on 40 runs. Brian Anderson took 3 for 22 and Brian Carr 2 for 25.

A poor start from both teams but plenty of weeks ahead to catch up.

By Mark Woodhouse

2nd XI Conti:-

Copyright Methlick Cricket Club 2009 Site queries only: Web Host